Eggs are a wonderful ingredient, I just love them! Incredibly versatile and a great source of inexpensive protein. They are also rich in selenium, vitamin D, B2, B6, B12 and minerals such as zinc, iron and copper.
Egg Fried Cauliflower Rice
This low GI take on a classic fried rice is perfect for getting a take out fix without the added calories. The egg provides the protein making this a perfect main course dish.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup (150g) garden peas (frozen or fresh)
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 whole eggs, beaten
- 1 finger sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped or1 heaped tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp peanut oil orolive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce ortamari
- 1 lime, zest
- Wash and finely grate the cauliflower head until it resembles couscous. Wrap tightly in a clean dish towel and squeeze the excess moisture from the cauliflower. Set aside still wrapped.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat the peanut or olive oil over a medium heat. Fry the onions for 3 minutes until softened. Add the ginger and continue frying until fragrant, stirring well into the onion.
- Add the carrot and fry until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower from the dish towel and add to the wok, stirring well. Add the peas and heat for about 4 minutes.
- Make a well in the middle of the wok, pour in the egg and leave to begin cooking for 30 seconds, then fold into the cauliflower.
- When the egg is firm, drizzle over the sesame oil, soy sauce or tamari, and lime zest. Mix well.
- Cook for a further minute before serving.
*Can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Not suitable for freezing.
Experiment with your own fillings in this delicious, versatile dish.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
- 8 medium eggs
- ¼ cup milk of your choice
- 1 broccoli, broken into small florets
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet red pepper, roughly chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup (60g) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- tabasco sauce (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 °F / 180 °C / gas mark 4.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the milk until frothy. Stir in half the parmesan cheese, set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the onions until softened.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and broccoli florets and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add the sweet red pepper and cook for another two minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to an 8 inch cast iron or ceramic dish. Tip the cooked vegetables into the dish and spread evenly.
- Season the egg with salt and pepper (and tabasco if using), then pour over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the egg then place in the oven. Cook for approx. 25 minutes until the egg is set but still wobbles.
*Can be refrigerated covered for 2 days, not suitable for freezing.
Authentic Spaghetti Carbonara
This classic Italian pasta dish is often mistakenly made with cream. But actually, the traditional recipe sauce is just egg and cheese. This is real crowd pleasing comfort food!
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 15 mins
- 6 oz (300g) Wholemeal spaghetti
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 90g pancetta
- 80g parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 40g butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ground pepper
- Cook the spaghetti al dente according to directions on packet.
- Meanwhile, add the grated cheese to the beaten eggs and season with pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the pancetta for 4 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the crushed garlic and fry for a minute further then remove from heat.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, don’t drain it but use a slotted spoon to transfer it to the pan with the pancetta. It’s ok if water gets in the pan.
- Very quickly pour over the eggs and toss the pasta to evenly coat. Add a few tbsps of the pasta cooking water to thin the sauce.
- Serve immediately.