Vegan, gluten free
Summer is well and truly here (hoorah!) which means plenty of eating al fresco with friends! I don’t know about you but when the weather gets hot, I prefer my food cold. This dish can be eaten hot or cold! It’s perfect for when you’re hosting a group of friends and need a quick and easy dish, that is totally delicious, and can be made in big batches the day before.
The smoked tofu & sesame quinoa salad is gluten free and vegan. But even my meat loving friends devoured this and I had lots of requests for the recipe – so it’s a healthy, crowd pleaser!
I have used ready cooked Quinoa for this recipe but have included the quantities of dry quinoa required as well.
Smoked Tofu & Sesame Quinoa Salad
Serves: 6-8 as side dish
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins (excluding quinoa cook time)
7 oz (200g) smoked Tofu, diced
1 large head broccoli
4 cups (750g) cooked quinoa (1 cup (200g) uncooked quinoa)
3.5 oz (100g) green beans, ends trimmed
3 tbsp mirin
2 tbsp tamari OR soy sauce
2 tbsp yuzu juice OR lemon juice
1 heaped tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp olive oil
If starting with uncooked quinoa, cook according to the packet directions. Set aside.
1. Heat the oven to 350F / 180C / gas mark 4.
2. Drizzle the olive oil into an oven proof dish.
3. Break the broccoli into small florets, place them in the dish so that they do not overlap, drizzle with a bit more olive oil.
4. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until slightly charred. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Meanwhile, boil a medium saucepan of water. Cook the green beans until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the beans and set aside.
6. Heat the sesame oil over a medium heat in a large skillet.
7. Add the ginger and fry for a minute until fragrant, then add the diced quinoa, mirin and soy sauce.
8. Cook for a couple of minutes to allow the tofu to take up the flavour of the sauce. Make sure the sauce doesn’t boil, adjust the temperature if needed.
9. Add the broccoli, green beans, quinoa and yuzu/lemon juice to the sauce. Stir well to combine.
10. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture into a salad bowl. Allow to cool before serving.
Can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Have you tried this Smoked Tofu & Sesame Quinoa Salad? What did you think of it? What are your favourite summer party recipes? Leave a comment below!