Vegan, gluten free
This delicious Spicy Bean & Mixed Rice Salad is packed full of amazing Mexican flavours! It is the perfect, healthy summer recipe. Ideal for serving to a crowd, taking on picnics or as a make-ahead packed lunch dish. It works best served cold or at room temperature, and leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I used a combination of brown, wild & red rice for this recipe. It adds a wonderful nuttiness and crunch to the dish as well as being a better source of fibre than white rice. You can adjust the spice to your preference, but the qualities I’ve listed add just enough heat without making me sweat on an already hot day!
Topping this with a generous handful of cilantro would finish it perfectly!
Spicy Bean & Mixed Rice Salad
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
2 ¼ cups (500g) mixed grain rice
14oz (400g) tomato passata OR canned tomatoes
15oz (400g) red kidney beans, drained
1 large sweet red pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1 lime, juiced
½ vegetable stock cube
3 tsp ground paprika
½ tsp ground chilli
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground cumin
½ cup water
1 tbsp olive oil
Sriracha sauce, to taste
- Rinse the rice with cold water in a colander. Place into a large saucepan, fill with 3 cups of water and season with salt.
- Place a couple of sheets of kitchen paper over the saucepan, then replace the lid.
- Cook on the stove over a medium heat for around 18-20 mins, until the rice is cooked through. Set aside
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a skillet over a medium high heat. Add the onion and fry until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Then add the spices, stock cube, garlic and red pepper. Fry until the spices are fragrant, a minute will do.
- Add the tomato passata, kidney beans & water. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat.
- Add the lime juice and Sriracha to taste, then pour the mix over the cooked rice.
- Stir well to combine, taste again and add more Sriracha or salt to taste.
- Transfer to a large salad bowl and leave to cool before serving!
Have you tried this Spicy Bean & Mixed Rice Salad? What did you think of it? What are your favourite summer party recipes? Leave a comment below!