gluten free, nut free
These salmon burgers are just so gorgeous, I could honestly eat them every single day! The crunchy, summer vegetables perfectly compliment the flakey salmon. A lot of salmon burger recipes call for the ingredients to be blended in a food processor, but I love the chunky texture of these.
Salmon is really nutrient dense. It’s a great source of protein, vitamins and minerals (in particular the wonder Omega-3 fatty acids), but it’s important to buy the best quality salmon you can – preferably line caught.
These can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days before frying. They also freeze well for up to 3 months, so feel free to double up on the ingredients and freeze half for later. Store in ziplock bags with parchment paper between in burger, and move to the fridge the day before cooking.
Super Salmon Burgers
Yields 4 burgers
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 40 mins
14oz (400g) salmon fillets
8oz (200g) potatoes, peeled and cubed
1.4oz (40g) celery stalks, finely chopped
1 lemon, zested & quartered
1 x red onion, finely chopped
1/2 small yellow pepper, finely chopped
1/2 small red pepper, finely chopped
1 egg, beaten
Large handful flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp sriracha
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C / Gas mark 4
- Place the salmon in a greased oven dish with the lemon quarters, season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 mins, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, boil a medium saucepan of water. Add the potatoes and cook for around 15mins until soft. Drain, and place back into the saucepan to steam dry. Mash with a fork.
- Flake salmon into mixing bowl (removing skin), add the potato, Dijon mustard, lemon zest & sriracha. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat.
- Fry the onion and celery until softened, about 8 mins. The add the pepper and parsley and fry for a further 4 mins.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the salmon mix, combine well. Taste again and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Shape into 4 large patties, set on plate, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- When ready to serve, heat the remaining olive oil in a skillet over a medium high heat. Cook each burger for around 4 minutes each side.
- Serve with a big green salad!