vegan, gluten free, nut free
I’m always on the hunt for a great veggie burger. For me, this means the texture should be substantial but not too heavy or gloopy, it needs to have good hold for frying or grilling, and of course must be full of flavour and deliciousness!
This Awesome Veggie Burger is pretty damn good! the chickpeas and kidney beans form the base, a bit of sweetness from the sweetcorn compliments the spices perfectly! The breadcrumbs or quinoa flakes bind the ingredients and add some crunch. I love the spice combination in this recipe, but the great thing about the Awesome Veggie Burger is that you can mix things up a bit.
Get creative with the seasoning – try some different herbs and spices, or throw in some fresh cilantro, parsley, or lemon zest.
Serve with a crunchy salad, or in a bun with a slice of tomato and your favourite condiment!
Awesome Veggie Burgers
Prep time: 20 mins + chill time
Cook time: 10 mins
14oz (400g) cooked chickpeas, drained
14oz (400g) cooked red kidney beans, drained
5oz (150g) sweetcorn, drained
1 large spring onion, chopped
4 tbsp breadcrumbs OR quinoa flakes
3 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp harissa paste
pinch of salt
flour of your choice for dusting
- Combine all the ingredients together in food processor (you may have to work in batches). Process until a paste is formed but don’t let it get too smooth – you want some texture!
- Taste the mixture and adjust spices and seasoning according to taste.
- Start to form the patties with your hands, if the mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs or quinoa flakes (not too much or they’ll be dry) until the patties hold their shape.
- Lay them out on a flour dusted plate or tray. Dust a little more flour on top of the patties. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over a medium heat. Add the patties and fry gentle for 5 minutes, before carefully turning and frying the other side for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve with a crunchy side salad!
What did you think of the Awesome Veggie Burger recipe? Is there another summer dish you’d like me to create a recipe for? Let me know in the comments!