gluten free, nut free, vegetarian, diary free
Fritters are an amazing food! Perfect for a quick mid-week dinner or as a snack, and a great way to get in some veggies while still feeling a bit indulgent.
These zucchini fritters are pan fried to keep the vegetables deliciously crunchy. You can adjust the amount of egg to either achieve an omelette like texture as in the recipe, or use one less egg for a crispier fritter.
The best thing about these fritters is that you can experiment using different vegetables and spices so they’re really versatile.
The most important thing to remember in order to get crunchy fritters that aren’t soggy, is to squeeze out as much excess water from the vegetables as possible after they have been grated.
Prep: 15 mins
Cook time: 12 mins
1 lbs (450g) potatoes
1 lbs (450g) zucchini
2 medium eggs (or 1 for crispier fritter)
4 tbsp buckwheat flour (or flour of choice)
4 tbsp chopped chives OR spring onion
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp turmeric
salt and pepper
- Grate the Zucchini, place in a colander and sprinkle with ½ tsp of salt. Let rest for 10 minutes. Then place the zucchini in a fresh dish cloth and wring out any excess water.
2. Peel and grate potatoes. Place them in a bowl of cold water to remove excess starch, then rinse and wring out the water.
- Mix the grated potatoes, zucchini and flour in a mixing bowl. Add the egg, chives/spring onions, spices, and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil on a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spoon ¼ cup of mixture into the pan for each fritter and use the back of a spoon to flatten them. Pan fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Serve fritters by themselves or with a dipping sauce.